Blessings...


The other night, I was driving to Long's Drugstore in Mo'ili'ili down King Street. It was turning to night already and I was exhausted after a long day at work. Such that traffic was moving pretty rapidly and I had several cars on my tail, I tried to pull into the first entry into the Long's parking lot without coming to a complete halt to make the turn in, to avoid making the line of cars behind me all jam on their brakes. As I pulled into the parking lot, at a faster pace and sharper angle than I should have, my tire hit part of the curb and blew out my sidewall. I heard the rush of air as I coasted to the side of the parking lot. I got out of the car and was sick to my stomach. My front tire was completely flat. So much for trying to accommodate others. Lol...

I dug in the trunk for the jack and spare and hoisted up the front end of the car after loosening the lug nuts. I pulled the flat tire off and went to put it into the trunk. As I opened the trunk to put the heavy flat tire in, my car lurched forward and fell off the jack. I was in disbelief, and greatly embarrassed. There were people coming from, and going to, Long's, as well as families getting ready for softball at the adjacent park. There was also a lot of traffic going by. I felt like the Whole World was watching my predicament. I realized that although my car was in Park, I had forgotten to set the emergency brake before jacking up the car. Such a simple stupid mistake. I reached in and yanked the brake handle up as hard as I could and shook my head.

I looked at the front end of my car on the ground, and the jack wedged underneath the fallen car, and lost all hope. I thought I would have to pay for a tow-truck and I didn't know if I had damaged my disc-brakes, or undercarriage, which was now sitting on the parking lot asphalt. I didn't know if my front end was broken now. I didn't know if the jack was crushed or broken. It was getting darker by the minute and I needed to get back home soon too. My first thought was to let out a primal scream, leave the car there as is, abandon my whole life, and go live in the giant banyan trees in the adjacent Mo'ili'ili Triangle Park until I became an old man.

I took a deep breath and gathered my senses and laid on the ground to see if I could somehow get the jack out from underneath the fallen car. I was dirty, tired, frustrated and in disbelief as to what was happening. I had dirt and rocks stuck to my back, arms, shoulders, and legs as I laid on the parking lot surface.

As I was trying to maneuver the jack out from under the car by wiggling it back and forth repeatedly, I looked up from my vantage point laying on the ground to see a smiling face above me. An elderly, clean-cut, Caucasian man was looking down at me and asked if I needed a hand. He reminded me of a Catholic Brother, or a Mormon Elder, or even a Missionary in his appearance and manner.  A Norman Rockwell Grandfather figure. Here I was in my tank-top, all sweaty and dirty, bald head and goatee. I must have presented quite the contrast to his quiet, calm, and dignified presence.

I thanked him and said I thought I was going to be okay. I knew I really didn't want to impose on anyone and my own stubborn pride prevented me from seeking anyone's assistance anyway. He said he was a mechanic, and was waiting in line for his prescription at the drive-thru window. He was watching me, and saw my car fall off the jack, so he drove over to see if I could use a hand. I laughed and said I think a lot of people were watching...and I must have put on quite a show, how embarrassing, as I laughed. He chuckled and said he didn't think so.

I was finally able to get the jack out from under the fallen car and now had to put it towards the back tire since there was no room to get it under the car in the front since the frame was resting on the ground. I started cranking the jack again but this time it was incredibly hard because I was now lifting the entire side of the car, much more weight. The kind man asked if he could help jack it up since he saw how hard it was for me turning the little jack handle. I looked up and smiled at him and said, "My name is Kai." He smiled and said, "I'm Steve..." as he held out his hand for a shake. I laughed and showed him my greasy black hand and said, "Sorry, my hand is dirty." He said, "That's okay, as he reached down and grabbed my hand and shook it. I thought that was great.

I continued to jack up the car, then took a quick break to look at the front of the car to see if the hub was lifting up off of the asphalt. It was slowly coming up. I turned back to see Steve on his knees cranking the jack. My hands were sore and red from cranking and I was so relieved for his help. I asked him if he had somewhere to go, and let him know that I would be okay now. He said he was in no rush. I thanked him as I went and retrieved the spare tire. We traded places after awhile and I continued to jack the car up while he put the spare near the hub to see if it was high enough off the ground to put the tire on. Not quite.

He asked me how the tire blew out and I told him about my attempt to be considerate of all the cars behind me as I pulled into the parking lot, and the end result. He chuckled and said "So much for being considerate  to others." I laughed as well as I cranked and cranked until finally he was able to get the tire on. I got up and came over and put the nuts on and tightened them. I lowered the car and was so elated to have a tire back on the car. I gave the nuts some final pushes to secure them firmly. The last thing I needed was for my spare to go flying off and have my front end on the roadway.

After shoving everything in the car trunk, I turned to Steve, and he said my spare was a little low on air. He suggested that I go straight to a gas station and put some air in it. He even calculated where the nearest gas station would be after asking me which way I was headed home.

I let him know that I would be okay and thanked him again. After checking the tire once last time, and closing the trunk, I walked up to Steve and thanked him profusely. He put out his hand again and I put out my dirty black greasy hand and we both laughed as we shook hands again. I told him, "Steve, I can't thank you enough for your kindness. You really helped me get through this. You are an Angel. God Bless You." He smiled and said it was nice meeting me and it was no problem at all.

We departed. I left my car there and went into Long's to wash my hands in the bathroom. As I walked to the back of the store, the secure door which led to the employees washroom opened as a Long's employee came out with an elderly woman who had just needed to use the restroom. I held up my black hands, said I just fixed a flat, and needed to wash up. He propped open the door and let me through past him as he smiled and opened his eyes wide while looking at my black hands. Lol...I thanked my Guardian Angels for the perfect timing.

I was so humbly thankful for such a blessing in my time of need. Where ever you are Steve...I know your Ancestors are so truly proud of you for your kindness, and I extend my love and appreciation to you, and them as well. Just as my ancestors truly appreciate what you did for me, and extend their love and appreciation to you. Mahalo Ke Akua. Mahalo beautiful kind Steve. May your Life be forever Blessed...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kihapu...

Blood Moon...