Thanksgiving...


About a week ago, I was walking home after work. The night descended quickly in these Winter months and I soon found myself traversing darkened streets amidst the gridlock of commuters trying to get home. I made it to the intersection of Ke'eaumoku and King and crossed. As I passed a man who has been living on this corner for over a year, I reflected upon his situation momentarily as I hastened my pace to get to the sanctuary of my Home. I had known this man's older brother and knew details of his tragic personal situation.

I saw a young woman with three young boys in tow coming towards me. The Mother, I assumed, must have been in her late 20's and the three boys looked to be between the ages of four and five. We smiled as we passed each other in the dim light. I noticed she held some packages in her outstretched arms.

Suddenly, two of the little boys stopped dead in their tracks in front of me, fixated on a scene unfolding behind me. The woman and one small boy continued past me. I slowed my pace gradually as I passed the two boys, still wide-eyed and watching their Mother intently. In my mind, I realized she was approaching the man lying on the sidewalk at the corner to give him something and my heart started to swell with joy.

Just as I was about to resume my hasty pace again, I heard a man's voice raise in an argumentative tone. I slowed down just to make sure the woman and boys were safe. The man's voice became louder and I stopped dead in my tracks as I heard the man screaming, "You better just go! Just walk away! Get out of here!"

My heart sunk. As I turned around, I saw the woman and the one young boy walking back towards me and the other two boys who were waiting. The woman looked distraught and embarrassed. I could see a package of food in her hands. The three boys looked frightened as well. I could see drivers in their cars, waiting at the stoplight, all gawking at the spectacle they just witnessed.

I knew this was a large fear of many people, that they would try to help a homeless person, and the person would yell at them, make a big scene. Maybe even attack them. This fear inhibits many people from trying to assist and here we just had a situation where many people just witnessed the ugly scene that reinforced this belief.

My heart sunk even more. I immediately broke out in the biggest brightest smile I could muster and looked at the woman as she looked at me, and I said, "Wow...that was so nice of you to try and help him. I'm so sorry he was angry. That was beautiful of you..."

She still looked a little shook up. She said, "I just wanted to teach my boys a lesson, to show them that you can help other people. That was a disaster." I then looked at the three wide-eyed youngsters and my heart sunk even more.

I said, "That was beautiful. I'm so sorry he was mad. I actually know this man's family, and they have tried to help him but he refuses help and chooses to live on this sidewalk corner. His older brother just passed away not too long ago."

She said, "Oh...I had no idea." Then she lifted up her plastic bag with a big sushi tray and showed me a box underneath. "I even bought him shoes" she said in a dejected tone, "I felt so sorry for him having no shoes. I always pass by. I just wanted to teach my boys a good lesson." Her voice was shaky and she sounded on the verge of tears. I knew the man had no shoes and wrapped his feet in rags.

I then realized the three boys were listening intently to our conversation. I looked at them and said, "You know...I am so very proud of you for helping your Mother, and for trying to help this man." The boys smiled. I added, "You know sometimes, people aren't ready for help but it was a beautiful thing you and your Mother did."

One boy said, "You know what? Sometimes people live on the street so long, they lose their memories. Right?" My heart lit up at the wisdom of this little boy.

I smiled, and replied, "Yes, sometimes people have to live on the street so long, they lose their memories of how to be with other people, how to interact with those trying to help them, of how their Life used to be..."

Another boy said, "Maybe we could help another person" and, who I assumed was yet another brother, added, "We can help another family." Their Mother and I both smiled.

I said, "You know we have lots of families around here, even in Pawa'a Park right down the road, who would love some food and could use some shoes."

One boy said, "Yeah! Let's find another family." Then his brother added, "Maybe we can give the shoes to Daddy, Mom?" Mom laughed and said, "Well, I'm not sure about that one, but maybe we could try." She sounded a little unsure and in her awkwardness, I sensed that not all was well between Mommy and Daddy.

The excitement of the children was infectious for both their Mother and I, and as the crosswalk signal turned, I didn't want to linger in this family's personal business any longer than necessary. I looked at the boys again, and their Mother, and said, "I want you to know that I am so proud of you, what you did tonight was beautiful, what your Mother did. In this World, in this Life, we don't always get the results we expect or want, but it is the intent, the Love behind the effort which is truly important. Thank you for trying to help this man."

We all stood there in reflective silence as cars drove past. Seeing that my opportunity to cross the street was almost over, I smiled and said, "I want you to have a beautiful rest of your evening and take care." I quickly crossed the street.

They yelled, "Bye Uncle!" Mother laughed and said "Thank you...and you have a beautiful night too."

As I arrived home, I knew that my night had already been beautiful. More beautiful than I could have ever imagined. What started out as a seemingly disastrous encounter, turned into a beautiful lesson for us all.

The eternal optimism of three young beautiful Spirits, seeing not the hurt and shame of our complicated adult World, but instead, the continued bright hopeful opportunities to help others. And a Mother who tried to teach her three young boys one of the most profound lessons we can learn in this Lifetime, of helping others in need. She was able to rebound and recover. Her monumental effort to buy food and shoes for a complete stranger she passed every day came from the depths of selfless Love.

And deep down, I secretly hoped that this Mother's reward, from the mouths of babes, might turn into a new pair of shoes for Daddy. I know we sometimes find it easier to deal with strangers than those loved ones closest to our hearts. I smiled as I imagined the healing of a strained relationship. Of bringing a Father back into the lives of his three boys. To help a single Mother carry her burdens. And as I imagined the strengthening of a beautiful family, I was filled with Happiness.  For this is the Foundation for a better World. Where we don't pick and choose who we love.  We simply love. Everyone. Shoes. Or no shoes...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kihapu...

Blood Moon...