Departure...


When I was leaving Hawai'i to go to the East Coast to rescue my Father, I had no idea what lay ahead of me. I hadn't traveled to the Continent in years, let alone 5000 miles. I had to leave on a moment's notice without much planning. I knew it would be difficult but tried to focus on each moment of the journey, rather than the larger picture, and what could go horribly wrong at each stage of the trip.

When I arrived at Honolulu International Airport and checked into the airlines counter, a really nice agent was helping me. I was so thankful. Unfortunately, the gentlemen next to me wasn't having such an easy time as I. He was visibly upset, shaking at times, and seemed incredulous and in disbelief. He was in the military, by his clothes and haircut, and trying to convince the desk agent that his I.D. was valid. She said it was expired.

He argued that it was expired, but he had received a temporary card, which is standard procedure, as he cited a section of military code. She said, no exceptions. He said, "I can't believe this! This is Government issued, military identification...it is temporary because they haven't issued my hard card." The agent blankly said, "Sorry...no exceptions. It is expired." He threw his hands up in the air, exasperated. Then he said, "I have to bring my son on the plane with me...you are telling me now that he can't travel?"

It was then that I looked behind him, and there was a little boy, about three or four years old. He looked terrified. His eyes were wide open, as was his mouth, and he looked on the verge of tears with his little backpack and blanket in tow. I don't think his Father realized that his son was witnessing the whole angry exchange. I felt really bad. I wanted to try and help, but I had to get to the gate for my own trip and potential problems. 

After I received my boarding pass, I turned to head towards the security checkpoint and on to my gate to wait to board my plane. As I passed the military man, I put my hand on his shoulder. He turned quickly and looked at me somewhat alarmed as he was in mid-sentence still arguing with the agent. As he looked at me, I said, "I'm really sorry you are having such a hard-time." He looked at me a little perplexed. Then I put my hand out, and said, "I just want to thank you for your Service to the Country." He clutched my hand and heartily shook it. I then said, "You have a Beautiful Son..." He smiled and replied, "Thank you..." as he looked over at his boy's face, still smiling.

I then bent down as I passed his son, put my hand on his little shoulder, looked directly into his wide blue eyes, and as I mustered the biggest warmest smile I could, I said to him, "You must be very proud of your Daddy. He loves you so very much..."  

I then headed to my Gate, and fought the urge to look back at the aftermath of the scene, which had gone suddenly quiet. I had my own troubles ahead of me. It was all I could do for them...but it reaffirmed the importance of my mission...and started me off with a Beautiful sense of Love and Gratitude...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kihapu...

Blood Moon...