Hope...



This is Kanalani. I met her when she came to my workplace looking for help about Hawaiian land issues. She is about 60 years old. She says she was born in Wai'anae. She has been living on the street for about five years. She was attacked by a woman at Mother Waldron Park near my office so moved over by the State Library. When I met her, her feet were sore from wearing reef walkers. I gave her some money for food and things. After we talked about many things, I hugged her goodbye. She apologized for her smell. I didn't smell anything but another human being. She is very intelligent, but has no identification. She was recently arrested for using a public restroom after the park closed at 10:00 p.m. and made a preliminary court appearance. She said she had no choice but she had to go to the restroom with an upset stomach.

She said she missed conversation the most and didn't realize how much she misses hugs. She was crocheting with her fingers a skirt but it was slow going. I bought her some colorful yarn and crocheting hooks. I can't wait to see her new skirt.

The next time I saw her, she had a new dress and shoes. She was able to stop by Safe Haven and take a shower and wash her hair. It meant a lot to her. She likes to draw so I gave her some art paper and colored pencils. She made this drawing. So I bought it from her and gave her money for food. I asked her to draw some more pictures for me when she has time and I will purchase them from her. This drawing shows her at the end of the day deciding whether to wash her dishes or wash herself. She wishes she had a tent and sleeping bag as depicted in her picture but she says that is a "pipe dream."

Kanalani has to wake up early because the State Sheriff rouses the people who sleep on the Library steps. She only has a beach mat. I am going to try and get her an aerobics mat because it has more cushion.

She tried living in the shelters but has a hard time being around so many people. She sees me about once or twice a week and I spend some time talking with her about many subjects. I believe she may be channeling a Hawaiian spirit from time to time from some of the deep things she talks about. So I pay careful attention to every word. I am going to see if I can figure out her identity and help her get an identification card, then maybe some public assistance for at least food. She found some nail polish and painted her nails pink. I told them they looked awesome.

I like to give her a big hug when we part and I look her in her beautiful blue eyes and I always tell her I love her. I will never know when it may be the last time I see her...

Comments

Unknown said…
You are beautiful too, my brother. May Ke Akua watch over you and keep you healthy and on this Earth to do such Work for a long, long time.
Unknown said…
Portia:
"The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes."
The Merchant Of Venice Act 4, scene 1, 180–187
Ka`iana said…
Your perseverance in the face of struggle and hardship helps keep me going brother... :)

Popular posts from this blog

Kihapu...

Blood Moon...