May Day...


I found this old picture. It is from Makakilo Elementary and I think it was 6th Grade. It must have been May Day. We had to walk in a procession with the whole elementary school watching. Iʻm wearing orange for the island of Lanaʻi. I think my Queenʻs name was Doreen. I canʻt remember who my kahili bearer was. I think my Queen wasn't happy with me.  So I reinstated the ʻaikapu between women and men so she had to eat her fish sticks in the cafeteria by herself...

I remember getting into a fight with John, wearing purple, the King of Kaua'i. The other kids egged us on. It was on the large grass field during recess. I didn't have canoes or slingstones so I used my fists. I feel real bad about it now. We were good friends. I am actually from Kaua'i and not Lanai. His kahili bearer, also named John, was my best friend too. Strange how we waged war in the old days. Mahalo to Kamehameha for bringing us everlasting Peace...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kihapu...

Blood Moon...