Photography...


I thought I would share some thoughts about my photography since I often get asked questions. I took a photography class at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa. I had to learn how to shoot and develop my own film, then make my own prints in a darkroom. Once upon exiting the double door light barrier, I accidentally hit the light switch. The lights in the darkroom turned on much to the screams, gasps and yells of all the other students trying to properly expose their negatives on the light-sensitive photographic paper. Fortunately, as quickly as the light came on, I switched it off and made it out of the room before anyone could really see who hit the lights. I escaped the lynch mob.

When digital cameras came out, my World changed. Of course, every parent becomes a photographer in making memories for the family. I am now largely self-taught and started out documenting places and events, trying to capture memories for people who participated in cultural ceremonies, who danced hula, who participated in cultural site visits and excursions. My goal was to capture memories for people who often didn't have a camera of their own, or were not in a position to capture photos because they were in the midst of the special moment.

I started enlisting the power of prayer prior to, and during, my shooting. I tune into the Spirit World and they guide me to see things I normally wouldn't see. I am often moved to tears when I look into the viewfinder and the image is even more amazing then I imagined it would be when I pressed the shutter button. When I take photos, I move into another World temporarily thus I may seem distracted when you approach me during an event. I don't mean to appear rude. Please forgive me if I seem less engaged then expected.

I don't charge money for taking photos and I don't sell my prints. I give away a lot at my own expense. Recently, I have been asked to participate in artist exhibitions which often require a price and willingness to sell your art. Honestly, I am still struggling with this concept. A beloved kupuna once told me, "kala hāpai hewa" or "money bears evil..." and I realize that I am Blessed with a gift from Ke Akua and give all credit to Him. I didn't put my name on my photos for years, then witnessed misappropriation. I didn't want the beautiful subjects in my photos to experience exploitation, so I started putting "Ke Akua 'Io" on the bottom, then later my own name to provide better legal protection against potential misappropriation.

I would like to share my art as far and wide as possible. If you are ever in a photo that I captured, dancing hula, performing a ha'a, or any other activity, and would like a large canvas print for your wall and memories, just let me know. I will gladly produce a high resolution file ready to send to the printers. I don't charge anything. You just cover the cost of the enlargement. I have many photos that I want to blow up to give to the subject as a gift for them and their 'ohana. I am so far behind. I also have thousands of photos of events that I need to finish processing and upload them. It takes hours and hours often to download, process, upload and post and share. It does take hours away from my family. I have to prioritize a tremendous kuleana in my Life, and photography, as much as I love it, is a really small part of my responsibilities.

I have photographed weddings, ceremonies, hula, and other events large and small, all very sacred in one way or another, and am very humbly honored to be able to capture memories for those who couldn't attend the event, and to capture and share the Beautiful Spirit far and wide, to sustain the magic. I am not only trying to preserve Spirit for those living now, but for those yet to come who may want to understand this critical period of Hawaiian History. I have offered to take some of my friend's photos, when asked, contingent only upon time and my availability. Other times, I have been able to capture our people in traditional Native Hawaiian attire and am amazed at the sense of pride and dignity which comes through...often in those who have suffered greatly in this Life.

If you ever see your image in a photo and are uncomfortable for any reason. Send me a message and I will immediately remove it. No questions asked.

There is so much Beauty in this World, and my goal is to capture what I can to produce Healing imagery that lifts Spirits and exudes Love. I have a beautiful friend helping me get some of my canvas prints into local hospitals, which is a dream of mine. To have these Healing images in hospitals, schools, hospices, care homes, prisons, and any place people need inspiration, healing, calming reflectiveness, hope and a strong feeling of Love.

Capturing Spirit is a Blessed Gift. It is not about popularity, or the amount of Facebook "likes" or anything else other than trying to reach as many people as I can, while I can, to spread and share Love, Forgiveness, Hope, Kindness, and Reflection to help Heal others. I know I Heal myself every time I press the shutter button and am able to capture a tiny fraction of God's Eternal Love and Beauty. I am always humbly appreciative of expressions of kind words and feedback as I am also learning much as well. I have left my body while in a coma in the ICU in 2012 and been fortunately Resurrected. I believe I personally met Jesus in the Year 2000 and I have been in the presence of Kū many times since then, having also looked him in the eye. So Glad to be Alive, to be on this Shared Journey, and to truly know and Love You...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kihapu...

Blood Moon...