Mo'olelo...


Tonight, as it was approaching Midnight, I was closing down my computer and getting ready to sleep. I thought about Beautiful Mahina, the Moon, on this Night of Māhealani, and regretted not making an attempt to capture her earlier in the night. I saw some Beautiful posts from friends and was satiated for the moment.

It was then that I heard the Mauna calling. A quiet barely perceptible voice deep inside my na'au. My guttural instincts. The Hawaiian Heart. A vision of the ahu at Bachman Lawn flashed before my eyes.  I didn't question it. I grabbed my camera and headed out into the night. 

When I arrived at the ahu, I was able to see the bamboo lele erected with the names of those Aloha 'Āina Patriots arrested on the Mauna recently. Lele. A sacrificial altar or stand. I contemplated the sacrifices of those Beloved hoa Aloha as I read their names quietly under the Moon and thanked and Honored them.

I aimed my camera up towards the ahu and the Moon. A Hae Hawai'i, Hawaiian flag, tied to the lele next to me, blew into my camera frame, blown by the winds that descended and embraced me from Mānoa, leaving a ghostly photo-bomb.

After capturing the scene, I heard the loud clicking of a mo'o, a gecko, from somewhere on or in the ahu. It is always a powerful sign that my maternal Grandmother is with me and an affirmation that I did good in following my na'au which led me to this place. I chuckled with excitement and glee and thanked her letting her know how much I Love and Miss her.

Under the Moon and Stars, and a Towering Sentinel Tree, I contemplated the word Mo'o and some of the meanings...

Mo'o: Lizard, water spirit as in Mo'oinanea, the great ancestress of Mauna Kea; Succession, genealogical line; Story, tradition; Narrow path; Ridge, as of a Mountain; and Young,  as a grandchild;

Each meaning and image resonated deeply within my na'au, the same internal guide that led me to this Beautiful place tonight. 

And I shared time and space and a quiet reflective moment under a Beautiful tree, growing so tall with roots firmly planted in the 'āina, the ground. Kūlia. Stand. Strive. Kūlia i ka Nu'u. Strive to Reach the Summit...

The tree grows, hoping to reach the Moon one day. Never giving up Hope. Despite all the odds. Mahina in her Loving Kindness, descends for a moment to kiss the tree top. Never stop Believing. Never give up Hope...

Suddenly, everything is starting to make sense. Profoundly Beautiful sense...

Mahalo Ke Akua...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kihapu...

Blood Moon...