Aloha no e Apollo...


I took this picture about a month before Apollo was euthanized at the Honolulu Zoo. He was sleeping in the shade and I waited for quite a while, with Elliott yearning to go to the next exhibit, to see if Apollo would wake up. He did momentarily, looked my way, and then went back to sleep. He had a long life in captivity, about seven years longer than the average lion in the wild. I'm sure he was well taken care of, but I still believe he would have chosen a free life, even if shorter in span. I thank you Apollo for serving your life behind bars, and thrilling so many of our beloved children of Hawai`i with awe and wonderment. Now you are free to once again charge across the grassy plains. Your thunderous bellowing roar striking fear in man and beast alike, only second to the thunderclaps of Ke Akua, in the darkened African sky. As the Lion King musical makes its run in Hawai`i, your run comes to an end. Moe me ka maluhia my friend, ua hala...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kihapu...

Blood Moon...