Hale...




The construction of a traditional Hawaiian hale, or house. This one is at the Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park. A similiar structure is being built at Pu'ukohola Heiau which is also a National Park. It is part of the restoration of damage to the heiau which occurred during the last big earthquake. This hale is at Volcano near the hula mound. Traditional thatching included utilizing ti leaf, pili grass, or loulu palm fronds. I'm not sure if these are loulu fronds or something else like hala. I wouldn't use hala because it also means to pass. Like in death. It would be the house of passing or house of death. No thank you...

Comments

Anonymous said…
LOL, I was about to say, that looks like one "haunted house" in the making!
Ka`iana said…
You should see it at night...all the wayward spirits congregate in it... : )
Kaiki said…
This is so inspiring and I resonate with the language you use to describe your experience. How much time and money did it take to make? I'm part-Hawaiian - want to make a traditional hale in Pahoa on some land I found and can afford which is all strawberry guava and some ohia...

Popular posts from this blog

Kihapu...

Blood Moon...