Hōʻailona...



I visited the care home where my Father is currently staying. The caregiver informed me that the little neighbor's dog, who often resides at the care home, and protects the residents with her vigilant barking, came over that night and gave birth to two puppies. The white puppy survived while the jet black puppy was stillborn. As I told her of the powerful Hōʻailona...and its intense personal meaning, I lit up with chicken skin all over my body. 

Like the black stone and white stone of ancient Hawai'i. Of Kamehameha and Keawemauhili. Of Kamehameha and Kahekilinui'ahumanu. The twins of Kaomileika'ahumanu. Choose Peace or War. Choose to Annihilate or to Forgive. Choose Life, or choose Death. We make these decisions every day, in large and small ways. Mahalo Ke Akua for the powerful timely affirmation. Rest in Peace little beautiful black puppy. May your sacrifice not be in vain...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kihapu...

Blood Moon...