Salty Lesson...


These Maine lobsters in Baltimore, Maryland, look pretty good. I didn't enjoy them however. Before I dropped out of Boy Scouts, we had a three day camp at Mt. Ka`ala. Another scout and I caught about 75 crayfish in the stream with grandiose ideas of living off the land. I boiled them and put salt in the water. Someone else put salt on the steaming red boiled crayfish as they sat on the big platter. Someone else melted butter over the propane stove and put salt in the melted butter. After about 10 scouts sat down to eat dinner, most only ate one or less before complaining about the awful taste. In looking back, I think the crayfish may have tasted bad even before the excess salt was added. The boys opted for canned Ravioli or whatever stash they had. I felt really bad for killing so many crayfish for nothing. I ended up eating the rest so as not to waste food. About 60 super-salty bad tasting crawdads. Needless to say, I got violently ill in my tent that night. I haven't been able to eat prawns, crayfish or even lobster since. I can eat crab and shrimp. Go figure. I tried this year, in Baltimore, to eat lobster. I really didn't enjoy or finish it. The bad experience in my childhood is pervasive and evidently lasting. Maybe one of my unknown `aumakua is the Hawaiian Spiny Lobster...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kihapu...

Blood Moon...