Love Letter...


At Christmas time, my father shared a love letter he had found with a picture of my mother. He wrote it when he was eighteen and my mother was sixteen. It was a few months after they had first met on the East Coast when my mom, from Hawai'i, was living there in a trailer park for awhile. Over fifty years later. Love still sustains itself...

November 10, 1952
Monday (Rained)
(Night)
10:30 11:17

Dearest Mona,

Do you know how you'd feel if you hadn't received my letter today, well that is how I feel about your not going to see a doctor about your right side, as if it didn't bother you to know how much I worry about you.

When you see your school doctor, please tell him of the pain you've had. If you don't, I'll ask your mother to send you to a doctor and I will pay for it. If this doesn't work, I'll trick you into seeing a doctor. Your life is as important to me as my own and I mean it. You'll find out someday.

You told me once life wouldn't be worth anything if you ever lost me. I'll always remember this. I think of the times I've been angry at you for something silly but when you smile, I can't help forget my anger. When you hold me I forget my obligation, even my existence becomes secondary to holding, loving you. I never knew of a girl who could cry and laugh so quickly, you truly must have a heart of gold. You could get anything you want from me when you tell me you love me.

I want to thank you for telling me about what went on when you were going steady with other boyfriends. I'm getting to know more about you every week. I don't get mad at you telling me, it's just that I don't like to think of you holding someone else in your arms, and if you had a crush, then you must have told them you loved them. I hope you don't lose interest in me as you have lost interest in them. I'm sorry, I think there is more I need to know about you. I want to know everything.

I didn't get home until 4:15 Sunday or Monday morning. I spent Sunday and Monday with you. I was so tired on the way home I had to wet my eyes to keep awake. When I fell asleep in bed, it seemed like I had fifteen minutes of sleep before I had to get up and go to work. I thought of you getting up earlier than I and how sleepy you must look. I like to hold you when you are tired and sleepy. You seem to be warmer and so relaxed in my arms.

I could have written this over but I'm tired.

Love, Elliott
xxxx Take care-Please think of me-

(Do you show or read parts of my letter to anyone?)

Please answer my letter.

When do you want to see me again? What time?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kihapu...

Blood Moon...