Prayer...


Today, I went to the State of Hawai'i Capitol for a hearing. I ended up talking with people I hadn't seen outside of the hearing room and the hearing ended quickly before I was able to go inside. I then headed back to the office by myself. As I descended the steps by the Queen's statue, I heard a man and woman arguing loudly. The local woman, who looked fearful and in tears was hanging on to the fence which surrounds 'Iolani Palace. She held some bags and looked disheveled as she stood behind the Queen. The local man, who also looked homeless, was about 2o yards away, and very angry as he shouted at her.

I paused momentarily to see if the woman was in danger, but realized they were far apart and mostly vocal. Some other men who looked emaciated, disheveled and weak, emerged from the bushes near the adjacent Archives building and made their way past the arguing couple.

I proceeded to walk towards my office. As I listened to the man's voice while I walked away, I found myself talking out loud to Ke Akua. I said, "Please Jesus, intervene. Calm them down. Calm. Calm. Let Angels calm them. Calm. Calm down. Please help them. Calm them..." Then I glanced around to see if anyone was around me who might have heard me talking to myself but nobody was. I could still hear the man's voice in the distance, fading out somewhat the further I walked. I asked again, for Angels to descend and help them. I was still talking out loud. I said I know they are hurting, tired, frustrated, full of 'eha and kaumaha. Taking it out on each other, always hurting the one you love. As I spoke to Jesus, I felt a wave of emotion flood through me.

Then suddenly, I heard the man's droning anger, and one phrase rang out..he addressed the woman at one point as "my love..." as he continued his yelling. I felt like a ray of hope descended. So I asked Ke Akua to remind them of the love they have for each other. To calm them down. Remind them of the love. Just then I looked up and saw a woman walking towards me who obviously heard me talking out loud. She quickly looked away and moved past me quickly. I chuckled. As the sound of the man's voice, now far behind me faded away, I found myself lost in thought.

I approached the crosswalk and waiting for the signal having just missed the last crossing. Several minutes later, I decided to walk down towards King Street instead. Suddenly, I heard loud laughter behind me. I turned to look. The man who was yelling and the woman were walking up behind me, laughing and holding hands. I almost cried. Overcome with disbelief, I headed towards King Street. As I walked down the sidewalk, I could hear the two of them talking and laughing as they followed me in my direction.

I walked past a young man who was walking slower than I with his head down. As I overtook him, feeling high from what I just witnessed, I asked him how he was doing. He looked at me and smiled a crooked smile, and said he was doing alright but had a rough day. I continued my pace and told him that tomorrow would be better and have a beautiful night. He smiled and said thanks, you too.

When I made it to the corner, I looked back down the sidewalk to see the couple again. I couldn't find them. I don't know if they went into the State Library or the bushes. It seemed like they would have had to move too quick to disappear. I honestly don't know where they went.

I am a believer. More than before. That prayer works. Especially for others. And simple kindness lifts spirits. Instead of walking past others in silence. Show Aloha. Show a little concern and kindness. As I reflect on my life and the multitude of dark times, I can only imagine how many times I was saved by the kind thoughts, love and prayers of a stranger. Without ever knowing it...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kihapu...

Blood Moon...